Tony Semana - Semantechs

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Andy Hunt has started a new podcast. Cool

Andy’s got 2 podcasts so far. One is an excerpt from the upcoming Pragmatic Bookshelf book Behind Closed Doors, Secrets of Great Management by Johanna Rothman and Esther Derby. The book is slotted for release on Sept. 15th, and I’m really looking forward to reading it.

The other podcast, "We the people" touches on the importance of the people in software development: being the raw material for a team's success, your ability to communicate well and learn quickly is key.

While I agree completely in both cases, I keyed specifically on the learning. This applies to any industry, field, or position.

listen to it here.

I know that I expect and depend on my ability to learn and adapt quickly above anything else. I was lucky to recognize this pretty early, and so had taken some time to look specifically at how I learn, and what techniques and methods work for me. That investment has serverd me very well so far - I’ll post a few resources in this area a little later.

I absolutely believe that your ability to learn translates directly into your ability not only to build on what you already have, but more importantly to begin anew if you had to. How many paths (or professions) have you walked down? If you really had to, could you leave the one you’re following now, and go to the beginning of another? How confident do you feel when you can honestly answer 'Yes'.